HARRISON UKULELE GATHERINGS
Visit Harrison Uku Facebook group page to learn about us & where we local ukulele players meet weekly.
As a beginner friendly group, we do not teach lessons though we are learning all the time & welcome all ages & abilities.
We love singing too... how 'bout you? Our gatherings use Ukulele Season songbook 1 &2, Vancouver and Mission 1 & 2 songbooks.
UKULELE SEASON Singalong SONGBOOK 2 - DRAFT form
More than 65+ classic and contemporary songs include:
- Emmylou - great tune by two young songwriters
- No One Knows My Name - play with Gillian and friends
- Swimming Song - ode to swimming in our lake
- Till Kingdom Come - Coldplay in C variations
- To Have and Have Not- Billy's social justice root show!
UKULELE SEASON SONGBOOK 1 - Harrison's first ukulele community song book!!
65+ classics and 'new to you' contemporary tunes include:
- Best Day of My Life - C F... that's it... two chords
- Green Rocky Road - G... yes, it's a one chord song!
- House Is A Home - written by Ben Harper & his Mom
- Lost Boys - the grandchildren know this one
- Sasquatch - Charlotte's song hits home here in Harrison
- Spirits - The Strummbellas - a Juno winning song
- Songbird - Eva Cassidy’s version, not the Bee Gees :)
- Wagon Wheel - play along video - fun!
INSPIRING SONGS we are learning in 2018:
- Bird Song - C - play along; be one of the Wailing Jennys :)
- Calm Before the Storm - Eliza's a wonderful singer songwriter
- Go To Sleep Ya Little Baby - another one chord wonder - F or C
- Oh My Love - The Small Glories
- The Book of Love - simply beautiful to play
- Song of the Sea - great animated movie song
SONGS we loved playing and singing in 2017:
- El Condor Pasa - Am C F Am - a lovely key to sing in...
- How’s About You - Dave Rawlings - Misty's version
- Leaving Of Liverpool - key of C
- Love is a Rose - play along with a 1 woman band
- Mr. Tambourine Man in G - as requested!
HELPFUL ONLINE TEACHERS & RESOURCE:
BEGINNER site - 2 chord songs - help build up muscle memory
Brett’s 5 strums - patient and thorough
CHANGING CHORDS - take your time and you'll feel more confident soon
Cynthia line’s Island Strum - fun stuff! - "play it slowly…”
Dr. Jill's Play Along Videos - great fun to play with
DR. UKU - has tunes, chords and lyrics and lots of patience
Ukulele Mike - he shares technique with intentional practicing, like this 'fly away' game
PLAY UKULELE BY EAR - Jim's 26 three min. tutorial videos are invaluable
FINGERPICKING - Cynthia's a great teacher
SINGING! AND PLAYING?!! - Aldrine's tips
WRITE YOUR OWN SONGS - the basics to keep in mind
The Ukulele Teacher - shows you the difference in methods and sounds
- BYTOWN - multiple books, LARGE PRINT, coloured chords
- CATHY'S CHORDS - beginner, easy-to-read sheets
- CHELTENHAM - they've picked the best from the rest
- GLOSUKECLUB - Great selection; coloured chords
- HALIFAX - lots of songs, chords imbedded
- j.U.G. - a variety of songbooks; chords on top :)
- RICHARD'S - Elaine's recommended list of 1,000 songs
- SOUP - great lyric pages; chords on top
- STEWART GREENHILL - interactive song sheet
- SAN JOSE - index, colour coded levels
There’s something about the ukulele that just makes you smile.
It makes you let your guard down. It brings out the child in all of us.
- Jake Shimabukuro
How Ukulele Season Came About:
I 'let my true colours show' musically in July of 2014, as I entered pre-retirement while grieving the death of my younger sister Leigh-Ann. I always loved music having grown up in a family that sang on road trips and around campfires on the farm. I have a wee background in music; high school choir, then flute and piano lessons as young adult. However, I was intimidated by string instruments, even ones with four!
Then the stars aligned; Friend Nikki visited with her ukulele and after I retired, I started connecting with local friends to sing in our village's hot pools. I dusted off a ukulele songbook our son created for me. After meeting Mac who began playing the sax in his late sixties, I jumped in and bought my first real ukulele - Kala Tenor.
After a season of learning ukulele online, I began lessons with a human local musician and professional teacher John M. I began to sought out locals to connect with over a mutual love of learning the ukulele. After waiting for someone else to create a group that meets locally during daylight hours, I started to promote the idea with support and encouragement of my dear friend Patsy. Since the creation of our local gatherings in September of 2016, word continues to spread that we are a fun-loving group.
We have much to look forward to in 2018. I have been drafting songbooks since last fall. The first songbook is fully edited by Rod of Chilliwack Music Academy. Our members continued to bring new songs to sing and play and we're now playing from ukulele Season Songbook 2. Last fall a small group of us began playing at the Chilliwack Hospice residence and I finding inspiring songs to play there.
I hope this little story of Ukulele Season inspires you to pick up a ukulele and sing out.
And...If you have read this far.... maybe you are a keener like me and would like to try some real new songs... How 'bout these ones:
Ukulele Anthem - C C7 Fsus2 G7sus4 G7
At The Bottom of Everything - C F G
Long Long Road - Canadian singer song writer
Videos & songbooks presented are copyright with respective authors & publishers and so are for discussion & study only.